Check valves operate as one-way or non-return valves in various commercial and industrial applications. These simple devices perform a crucial function in preventing reverse flow, thus preventing damage to equipment while guaranteeing safe and efficient operations. Check valves are a simple and cost-effective solution to safely controlling the flow of process media, making them a popular choice across a wide range of industries and applications.
What Is a Check Valve?
A check valve is designed to allow the flow of fluids in only a single direction. The unit features two ports, one acting as an inlet and the other as an outlet. Check valves require higher pressure on the inlet side than the outlet side to open the valve. When the pressure on the outlet side is higher, the valve closes automatically. Check valves are ideal for applications that face a range of backflow challenges.
Check Valve Features
When choosing a check valve, several performance specifications should be considered. The crucial valve features to examine include valve flow coefficient, media temperature, pressure rating, and valve size. Other key features to keep in mind include:
- Pressure drop. Understanding pressure drop is important in selecting the best check valve. The system’s pressure is responsible for controlling flow and is therefore crucial to the overall function of the check valve.
- Media. You must consider the type of media the check valve will be exposed to when selecting the material of the disc, valve body and seals.
- Connection types. When choosing the connections for the check valves, consider the existing connections already in the system. Ensure the valve makes a strong and reliable connection with the system’s piping.
Check Valve Applications
Check valves are used in different types of water applications and other industries, including:
- Food and beverage. Sanitary checks valves help stop harmful elements like pathogens from entering a food product.
- Pharmaceutical. The pharmaceutical industry uses check valves to regulate the pressure in the fluid flow of products to maintain high quality, efficiency, and productivity.
Contact Lumaco for High-Quality Check Valves
Check valves are crucial safety and control devices that prevent backflow. Lumaco provides high-quality check valves designed to meet the specific needs of your application. Contact us or request a quote today to learn more.