Working as a dealer in turnkey dairy installations in Europe inspired Lumaco’s founder, Sam Luksenberg, to create a line of dairy valves. Initially intended for dairy tanks, the Minidisc® valve is a disc shut-off valve that can be used for any liquids, powders, slurries, and in aggressive environments. The design of the disc valve is simple: the disc meets the shaft at a 45° angle, leaving the seat unpierced and preserving product integrity.
The Lumaco Minidisc® offers 180° rotation which angles the disc precisely for product flow, allowing the valve to open without resistance and remain in its intended position. The valve can be quickly and completely shut off with a half turn of the valve handle. The valve status is clearly indicated with an “OPEN – CLOSE” label. The Minidisc® features an optional locking handle which locks it into the desired position and converts it into a regulating valve.
Minidisc® Valve Features
The Minidisc® is a low-maintenance component that provides many benefits and features, including:
- Stainless steel type 316: The Minidisc® is made of corrosion-resistant 316 stainless steel, making it ideal for applications involving corrosive substances.
- Sanitary: For sanitation purposes, the Minidisc® is designed to ensure that your product does not stagnate inside the valve.
- Easy to clean and repair: The valve quickly dismantles without tools when opened by its standard heavy-duty clamp. O-rings prevent the product from entering the stem housing, and two leak detector holes will notify the operator when the O-rings need to be replaced.
- Adaptable: A clamp connection on both ends makes it easy to use the Minidisc® Valve for a variety of purposes. By adding a locking handle, the Minidisc® transforms into a regulating valve that can be locked into any position.
- Cost-effective: The Minidisc® is easy to maintain with only two low-cost elements that require occasional replacement: the seat and two stem O-rings. These parts are readily available, inexpensive to replace, and easy to switch out.
- Easy to use: A half turn of the handle provides quick, positive, leak-free shut-off. The OPEN-CLOSE label indicates the status at a glance.
Minidisc® Valve Types
There are two basic types of Minidisc® valves:
- Manual Minidisc® Valves are configured for applications that require sanitary processing procedures. The manual variety can be used with powders, liquids, or slurries. Made out of a tarnish-resistant material and meeting the requirements of 3-A Sanitary Standards, the manual Minidisc® is designed for aggressive environments.
- Air-Actuated Minidisc® Valves also meet the requirements of 3-A Sanitary Standards and are configured for Clean In Place (CIP) applications. Air-actuated valves open and close automatically and do not require an operator to function. These valves are perfect for larger operations in which having a technician for every valve would not be cost-effective.
Minidisc® Valve Applications
Minidisc® valves regulate and control food, drink, and dairy applications. Minidisc® valves are available in various seat and O-ring materials, ensuring the right fit for your application. O-ring materials offered are silicone, FKM, EPDM, and buna. Minidisc® seat materials offered are silicone, FKM, EPDM, buna, and PTFE.
Our valves are available with manual and digital electro-pneumatic controls to optimize and maximize flow and efficiency. Although designed for dairy tanks, Minidiscs® are perfect for any liquid or slurry, and valve performance can be monitored from a control room connected by a fieldbus interface.
Lumaco Minidisc® Valves
Minidisc® valves are a time-tested control valve solution. They are durable, tarnish-resistant, and long-lasting with minimal maintenance requirements over their lifetime, and they boast a proven track record in the field. Lumaco is proud to offer our own Minidisc®, Doubledisc, and N7 Automated Air-Actuated lines of valves, all meeting the requirements of 3-A Sanitary Standards. For more information on our products contact us or request a quote.